How to extract / archive Connexus-hosted emails
Browse the support guides below for instructions on mail archiving and archive extraction (click topic headings for detail). For personal assistance with mail archiving or archive extraction please contact our expert team on 1300 133 888.
The DVD archive includes two utilities called MailEx and ccrypt. Each allow you to extract mail quickly and easily.
For each mailbox configured in Domain Pilot, there are two encrypted, compressed archives located in the 'Archives' folder of the DVD - one containing incoming email, and one containing outgoing. In the example of a mailbox for a John Smith with the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org, the file names would be:
To assist you with the extraction and decryption, we've included a utility called MailEx that perform these steps automatically. See below on using MailEx on how to extract files in bulk.
The email files are provided as text files in UNIX mbox format. We recommend the use of i.Scribe.
- Download and install i.Scribe.
- Open i.Scribe and select the Tools menu, select Import > Text > Unix MBOX
3. In the pop-up window, click on the + button
4. Select the mailbox you wish to import and click Open
5. Click the OK button
6. The email messages will be imported into the Inbox. You can now read the messages as normal.
Alternatively, you can open mailboxes with a standard text editor (such as Notepad or WordPad). Attachments within messages will appear as code, and need to be imported into an e-mail client or uudecoder. To locate a specific email, choose the Edit > Find menu option and enter the term you'd like to search the archive for.
You can extract a batch of mailboxes from the archive by using ccrypt from a DOS command prompt.
- Insert the Archive DVD.
- Copy the archives to a directory on your PC. We'll assume C:\Archives
- Open a DOS window by using Start > Run and typing "cmd". Click OK.
- Change to your DVD drive by typing "d:" and pressing Enter (where d is the label of the drive).
- Type "cd\mailex\helperfiles\ccrypt" and press Enter.
- Type "ccrypt -dr C:\Archives" and press Enter.
- Type "cd ..\unz552xN" and press Enter.
- Type "unzip C:\Archives\*.zip -d C:\Archives\Mail" and press Enter.
- Each mailbox should now be stored unencrypted and uncompressed in the C:\Archives\Mail folder.
Insert the DVD Archive into your DVD drive. The MailEx program will start automatically.
1. Click on the first Browse button. A pop-up window will appear.
2. Select a folder on your hard disk where you would like the extracted mailbox to be saved to, then click the OK button.
3. Click on the second Browse button. Another pop-up window will appear. In the Look in drop-down box, select D:\ARCHIVES (where D: is the drive letter of your DVD drive). Select the mailbox you'd like to export and click the OK button.
4. Enter your administrator password into the Passphrase/Password field and click the Extract! button.
5. A status bar will pop-up, indicating the progress of extraction. Once it is complete, a confirmation box will appear. Click on the OK button, and then close Mail Extractor.
You have now exported the mailbox from the archive.
The disc was encrypted using the password that your domain used to access your admin interface on the date this letter was written. If you have misplaced it and the interface password has since changed, the authorised contact may call our support team on 1300 133 888.
The Disc only contains email that has traveled through the Connexus Mail servers. If you have used a web-based email program and the mail hasn't originated from your domain or ended up there, it will not be included.